We saw the new Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition onsite at the E3 show in Los Angeles today and had the opportunity to ask the developers our questions firsthand! Here’s all of our information on the revamped Age of Empires II:
- First of all, the game will be the version with the most scenarios among the Age of Empires games released to date: 27 scenarios in total.
- The game comes with 4K graphics support and all textures have been designed from scratch.
- The sounds of the game have also been completely renewed. They just left the worker voices intact, and the indispensable Wololo!
- Artificial intelligence has also been completely renewed. You will still be able to choose the old artificial intelligence if you wish.
- The game uses the latest technology. In this context, some technologies from Age of Empires 4, which is currently under development, have been transferred to this game.
- With the new 3D game engine, you can zoom in and out in the game.
- Unit selection is among the elements that make gameplay easier: for example, when you choose the army inside the city, the farmers do not rush into battle with the army anymore…
- They state that the game will have mod support and even mods made for the original game will work. Of course, we think that the graphics should be updated, naturally…
- It was stated that support for special scenarios continues, and even scenarios made for the first version released in 1999 can be transferred to the version that will be released in 2019. Great indeed.
- We asked if there will be HDR support in the game, but they said they might consider it.
- When we asked if there was a FPS limit, we got the answer “60 FPS”.
- Another question is, will the support of the classic Age of Empires II HD Edition continue? We also asked this question. Answer: We will not remove that version, but our focus will now be on this version. For example, new plugins will only come to the new version.
Microsoft’s statement about Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition:
- Publisher: Xbox Game Studios
- Developer: Forgotten Empires, Tantalus Media, Wicked Witch
- Age Rating: ESRB: T; USK: 12+; PEGI: 12
- Format: Windows 10 and Steam
Today, we’re excited to share that Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition will be coming to Xbox Game Pass for PC, Microsoft Store and Steam in the fall of 2019 and will support cross-play between Windows 10 and Steam players. Age of Empires II is one of the most loved strategy games of the last 20 years. With the new game, we aimed to create an experience that will be loved by the most devoted PC gamers and first timers to the series.
Developed by Forgotten Empires, Tantalus and Wicked Witch, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition includes all-new content and many exciting gameplay improvements. This edition includes all previously released Age of Empires II content, as well as brand new civilizations, additional campaign missions, new graphics that support 4K resolution, and Xbox Live support for multiplayer users. This edition already includes quality of life upgrades like automatic farm reseeding that takes the game you already know and love to the next level.
Exciting new features:
- The Last Khans missions: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition includes brand new content, “The Last Khans,” featuring three new missions and four new civilizations.
- New civilizations: Four new civilizations are only added to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition: Bulgarians, Cumenes, Lithuanians and Tatars, bringing the total number of civilizations in the game to 35.
- New spectator mode and tournament features: Players will be able to watch multiplayer games in real time and switch between each player’s view by overlaying the interface to inform viewers about the status of different players.
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition will cost $19.99 for new players and $14.99 for Steam users with the HD Edition. Additionally, Xbox Game Pass for PC members will be able to purchase Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition at a discounted price of $14.99 USD to own the game in the Microsoft Store.
Age of Empires IV
We are so honored and grateful to the Age of Empires community for their valuable feedback and insights that helped us bring Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition to life. As part of our commitment to the community and the past, the present and future of the Age series, we are happy to share that Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will be available on Steam this August and will support cross-play with Windows 10. We’re excited to bring the community on our new journey and look forward to providing more information on the upcoming titles, Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV.
Check out the video below to see what’s coming in Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and sign up for the closed beta program at www.ageofempires.com starting soon! We hope you enjoy playing this new defining remaster game as much as we created it for you.