Although veganism is thought of by many to consist only of choices about nutrition, in fact, from clothing to transportation. using animals or a way of life that advocates avoiding anything to the detriment of animals. Some parents who accept this lifestyle as the absolute right want their children to grow up vegan from birth.
It is thought that veganism has some benefits that have made it so widespread especially in recent years. For example; as a result of plant-based nutrition It is argued that as a result of decreasing body mass index and providing low blood pressure, it reduces the risk of diabetes, cancer and various heart diseases. But a common view; It is also argued that it is deprived of the things the body needs, such as adequate protein, B12, iron and calcium, therefore it is a very unhealthy diet.
Parents who adopt veganism to animal exploitation In order not to include them, they can direct their children to a vegan diet. We have compiled the subject, which has different opinions on whether it is healthy or not, in our content.
What exactly is veganism and a vegan diet?
Although the term veganism is only recently recognized in the country and around the world, the evidence for a vegan diet is according to some researchers. 2000 years ago going up. Seen by some as a transitional stage to a vegan diet vegetarianism In the 19th century, there was an important activity in England and the United States of America. The poet is known as a doctor and even people whose word is important in the society have started to make statements that they see feeding with animal foods as exploitation. In 1944, it was recognized by vegan circles. Donald Watsonto describe people who do not eat animal products other than meat. the term ‘vegan’produced.
Although vegetarianism is classified as below vegan, it is not acceptable by most vegans as it does not completely end animal exploitation. Although vegetarianism generally prohibits only meat consumption, it is divided into subclasses according to whether some animal products other than meat are consumed or not.
- Including most vegetarians lacto-ovo vegetariansThey consume dairy products and eggs other than meat.
- lacto vegetarians,They eat other animal foods besides meat products and eggs.
- ovo vegetarians,They do not consume other animal foods other than eggs.
- pescatariansthey are called semi-vegetarian because they only eat poultry and meat products other than fish.
- Pollovegetarians However, they do not fully meet the concept of vegetarianism. They consume all animal foods except poultry meat.
Veganism is more than just nutrition. philosophy of life seen as. Apart from very strict eating rules, they change their lifestyles in many sectors, from clothing to transportation, which they think is animal exploitation. For example, they refuse to use any clothes, accessories or objects derived from animals. Although it is very difficult in today’s conditions, there are vegans who refuse to even fly an airplane on the grounds that it harms animals.
A person’s decision to become vegan, for conscientious reasonsas well as due to religious and moral It can be given because it is not accepted in other respects. Many issues, such as the climate crisis and environmental pollution, are among the reasons for being vegan. Because the conditions required for the livestock sector are not sustainable and can cause incredible damage to the environment. At the same time, people with chronic diseases such as heart disease can also choose a plant-based diet.
What are the benefits and harms of a vegan diet?
Since vegan nutrition has very strict rules according to some people, it can be intimidating even if it is desired to start with conscience or for other reasons. However, many benefits of vegan nutrition have been explained by experts.
- vegan diet to lose weight it is helpful. Of course, it is not a nutritional goal that can be sustained to lose weight, but because the vegan diet is plant-based, its fat consumption is low. Harmful and mostly derived from animal foods from saturated fatsDue to the fact that it is a pure diet, people who eat vegan have a lower body mass index compared to other people.
- Vegan diet reduces the risk of many diseases. More low blood sugar thus reducing the likelihood of type 2 diabetes. At the same time, according to some studies, even if it is not proven kidney functions has also been shown to improve. According to some studies, diseases that can be fatal, such as cancer and heart diseases, are less common in vegans.
- stress and anxiety It is also thought that a vegan diet is beneficial in such problems. According to one study, there was a relationship between a vegan diet and low stress levels.
- In a study of a predominantly vegan island population in Papua New Guinea, people’s skin was more complex. shiny and smooth was found to be. It is also thought that dairy products can cause acne.
- And of course, when you’re vegan environmental pollution You are getting ahead of the livestock sector, which is one of the main reasons. Every year, a lot of forests are destroyed in order to allow animal consumption in the increasingly industrialized food sector. In other words, it is possible to prevent the opening of areas by destroying the forests for the development of animal husbandry by feeding vegan.
Although there are many benefits of vegan nutrition, it can also cause harm when applied without considering how much from which food should be taken. It is a fact that most of the major minerals and vitamins that every body needs are more abundant in animal foods. If you don’t stop consuming only animal products and balance your diet list, B12 and proteinYou can’t get enough of such content.
Essential protein source for vegans legumes. However, excessive consumption of pulses can lead to digestive system disorders such as bloating in the stomach. In order to avoid all these, when you decide to eat vegan, it is useful to create a diet list with an expert or to learn the contents of the nutrients and what you need and how much.
So, is a vegan diet healthy for kids?
The trick to a vegan diet is to include ingredients from mostly animal foods while using a plant-based diet. If it cannot be taken, you cannot get enough nutrition and therefore it will be more harmful than health. Debates on vegan nutrition for children are basically due to this. Vegan-fed families can make their children vegan from birth because they think veganism is the right thing to do.
Stage of development and growth Nutrition in living children can directly relate to this process. The basic rule for a healthy and adequate diet is that most foods can be taken. plenty of variety is the creation of an order. Since a vegan diet limits the consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol, which is generally supplied from animal foods, it is thought to prevent diseases that may arise from these ingredients in children’s adulthood.
In short, vegan dieting, regardless of childhood or adulthood, planned in detail a form of nutrition. If it is not applied correctly, it may cause insufficient development of the child, but it has been accepted according to some studies that it can even benefit the child if it is done by making sure that all nutritional contents are taken.
What does scientific research say about vegan nutrition for children?
Comparing navegan, that is, children fed with animal products, and children fed vegan, conducted at Harvard There is a research. According to this study, navegan children enter puberty earlier and grow faster. The reason for this is that there are too many animal products. growth hormone that is. Growth over time rather than sudden growth is thought to be healthier. With intelligence developmentIn a related study, it was found that vegan children had a higher intelligence level.
Nutrition is very important especially in cardiovascular diseases. According to studies, problems such as lubrication in the veins actually date back to childhood. A study on vegan nutrition was conducted at the American academic medical center called Cleveland Clinic. The children selected for the study were divided into two groups, and one group was given a low-fat vegetable diet, while the other group was given a diet with animal products to protect the heart. As a result of the study, it was found that the children fed plant-based their weight dropped, blood values improved and their blood pressure dropped. This study convinced many American and Canadian doctors that a vegan diet could be good for children.
Although there are positive studies on vegan nutrition of children, another study on children who are born vegan is that vegan nutrition of vitamins A and D He thinks it will create a shortage. There is not enough research and certain information about feeding children vegan, but experts emphasize that in general, children on a vegan diet should undergo routine health checks.
What does Professor Cardiologist and vegan doctor Murat Kınıkoğlu think about vegan nutrition for children?
Sources: 1, 2