Arko Classic in a green and white tube, our grandfather’s favorite, which must have been in the home of every elder at one time, and Nivea with a dense consistency in the iconic blue tin box that turned into our grandmother’s needle storage box after it was finished. moisturizing creams,You probably remember the smelly aftershave lotions that our fathers and grandfathers used.
In fact, ointment, cream, and lotion sound like products with different names used for the same things. So these terms Does it mean the same things? If so why do they have different names? Today we will talk about the differences between these expressions.
What is the “ointment” that is the subject of the phrase “to be an ointment to the wound”?
frequently used ” be an ointment to the wound The ointment in the expression ” is a word of Arabic origin in our language. In fact, the ointment in this metaphorical discourse is a form of spreadable medicine that also physically heals wounds. ointments; They are drugs that can be obtained by prescription, which are frequently used in many skin diseases such as fungus, eczema, dermatitis and skin burns.
For those who need hydration: What is a cream?
Cream; It comes from the French word “créme”. Creams used as skin care products soften and soften the skin. moisturizing and provides skin protection. The creams, which are basically categorized as water and oil-based, protect the applied area against external factors such as cold weather, sun and air pollution.
What is the indispensable aftershave lotion?
The word “lotion”, which means “bath water” in French, is referred to as “lotion” in our language. Inside high in water In addition, lotions containing alcohol are used to moisturize, soften and soothe the skin. Especially after shave lotions used by men, water and alcohol are used at high rates. These lotions have antiseptic properties for cuts and scratches that occur during shaving.
What do ointments, creams and lotions have in common?
We can say that the most basic and obvious common feature of these products, which are created by formulating almost the same basic ingredients in different proportions, is “moisturizing the skin”. In addition to moistening, on the surface on which they are applied physical protection they provide. Cream and Lotion forms; It has almost the same usage areas in areas such as body, face, hands, feet, hair and eyes.
What are the different aspects of ointments, creams and lotions?
As indicated in the image above, dark blue color; water, and the light blue represents oil and its different derivatives. While ointments, creams, and lotions have some similarities, they have a much broader range of differences. These differences are as follows:
- Ointments oil based Creams have both water-based and oil-based forms, while product forms. Lotions, on the other hand, are in liquid form, unlike creams and ointments.
- In ointments in oil-based form 80% percentage of oil. In creams, water and oil are found in different proportions, but in general, 50% water and 50% oil. Lotions contain high amounts of water and alcohol.
- Ointments for skin diseases in the treatment When used, creams are not medicinal drugs. Despite this, we see creams in cosmetic and dermocosmetic fields. Lotions are used for purposes such as softening the skin, providing refreshment and soothing.
- The essence of the matter is to treat ointments, creams moistenand protect the skin, while lotions appeasementand used for comfort.
- Ointments in their formula medicine It should be taken under the supervision of a doctor due to the doses. Since creams and lotions are not drugs, you can choose the ones that are suitable for your skin.
- The one with the most dense consistency is the ointment. Creams have a softer consistency compared to ointments and absorption is faster. Lotions, on the other hand, are in fluid form, close to liquid.
- While ointments are produced in smaller and more protected packages due to their high oil content, creams are produced in jars or similar packages. We see lotions in large sizes and usually in pump packages.
In this content, we talked about the common and different features of common products such as ointments, creams and lotions that are often used interchangeably. If you want more content like this, you can contact us in the comments section.
Source: 1, 2, 3